Saturday 30 November 2013

Moving,moving,moving!

I have been trying to use the strategies we learnt about in our course Writing The Playbook by Kelley King.  I do not have my own class but rather work with groups of children across a variety of years from year into year 3.  I also do some one on one work with a  boy in year 6.
One of the strategies I have found most useful is that of movement...particularly for my boys. Before we start a new or challenging task I send my children  for a run to 'clear their heads' and switch the brains on.  This only takes a couple of minutes and the children settle back to focused work very quickly. This technique works particularly well with one of my boys who has working memory difficulties.  He now tells me when he needs to 'clear his head' and always comes back ready and fresh. I also try to include moment in our lessons even if it is only to walk to the white board and back.  Another activity we do regularly is to do a school walk and read.  Many of my children struggle with reading and by taking them walking and reading around the school they have begun to develop confidence particularly when they find they can read some of what is around them.
I have also used the runaround the basketball courts to help those children who are off track in class. I have found a run rather than a growl has helped maintain a settled class.

1 comment:

  1. Denise, I have found that movement is very important to my students as well. I am working on making this more built into my instruction as it is still not automatic for me, but it truly makes an enormous difference. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete