Sunday 6 October 2013

Implementing the Plan: Successes So Far

We are a month into this school year and I have been referring to my implementation plan pretty often! I have definitely seen an increase in engagement from previous years and I thought I would share the strategies that have been working well for us.

Hydration has been key! We have water bottle holders attached to our desks and students are able to stay hydrated at all times. I have also been giving students a drink when they are upset, or hurt and I have been surprised at how this helps to calm them. There have been fewer disruptions to our learning because we have water available all the time.

I have not held a single student in at recess and I am sticking to this practice. Kids NEED the activity and the physical outlet recess provides, and so do I! This first month has been so busy that there are few opportunities for a mental break for me either, so this is important for my stamina too. Students seem to be more relaxed and more willing to work, knowing that their recess will not disappear.

I have been working with my personal voice amplifier as well, although this is not something that is automatic for me yet, it really  is making a huge difference. I repeat myself far less when I use it and my voice is not strained. Students are more engaged and all 28 are able to hear. I am surprised by the difference it makes! 

We have been going outside at least once a week for class and the students LOVE it! I had them each bring in a beach towel or blanket and we have been very fortunate to have nice weather. The change of environment is great for my students and for me. While we are outside, the noise level doesn't seem as high and the number of students seems more manageable. I am definitely going to continue this practice for as long as possible!

As far as academic work goes, the use of technology and collaboration has noticeably increased this year. We are blogging several times a week, using audio and visual materials regularly and the students are learning how to use collaboration on Google Docs as well. I have found that training a few "experts" that teach their peers a specific task, especially in the use of technology, has made instruction more powerful and effective for me too. I do not have to be the only teacher in the room, I have 28 other geniuses accessible at any time, and they are great at the job! Having 1:1 Chromebooks also helps enormously!

The most surprising success in my opinion, has been the use of the Whole Brain Teaching strategies, particularly the rules, the class-yes, and the scoreboard game. My students have really bought into this program which has helped keep my students, particularly the boys, on track with very little issue. I am still trying to figure out a solution for the noise level, as it can be too loud for many of my students, but we are getting there and quickly! The students love to earn points and they love the 1-second party when they receive them. I wasn't sure this would work with six graders, but I've been pleased with their behaviours. One great app I stumbled across was Triptico, and it has timers, scoreboards and many other features that really support Whole Brain Teaching.

I am working on incorporating movement breaks throughout the day and having the students stand to speak is a quick strategy. I also am having the students come and get their own assignments more often, rather than handing them out, and this gets them moving too. I have great plans to integrate Energizing Brain Breaks , as I have used them before and the students love them. Our classroom gets so busy, I just forget! It is at times like this, I am reminded why I need the plan in the first place. It is not my natural instinct or need to require a break myself, but many of my students DO need the break, so it is important to keep trying! I have a hand language in class that the students can let me know when they require a break. It hasn't happened too often yet, but I think it is important that they self-monitor as well.

As a staff, we are still working on breaking down some of the practices that are biased against boys. I have had several conversations with my administration team about softening the no-contact policy at recess and encouraging more of our at-risk students, most of which are boys, through staff interactions and relationship building. It is clear that we are on the right track, but it takes time to change habits and practices that have been in place for a long time. 

The final successful strategy I want to touch on is our integration of the Genius Hour. I have posted about this before, but I think it warrants mentioning again, since it is changing how I teach and how I view children. I have never seen students so engaged or excited about learning! I love that they have time to explore their passions and make meaningful connections to what they learn and the world they live in. I am particularly impressed by the change in attitude this practice has sparked. Students are viewing themselves as capable and creative and they are extending that view to their classmates as well. When genius is celebrated and shared in every person, amazing things begin to happen! My students love this time so much they have asked for a Genius Day, which I am going to give them very soon. They are collaborating and exploring in ways I couldn't have imagined, which is why this is another part of my practice I will protect! Boys and girls alike are excited and invigorated about their projects. I do not assign much homework in my class, but my students are starting to work on these things on their own time. That is when you know something good is happening!

We are a month into school and there has already been so many successes to share. I can hardly wait to see what I will be reported at Christmas!




4 comments:

  1. Angela, your kids sound like they are really enjoying school and I can see why. It is great to see someone who is so open to learning and applying new strategies in the classroom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denise, I appreciate the positive comments. How are things going for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela sorry I have been off for so long. This has been a very busy term for me. Beside the normal teaching we have had reports to write, I have been on camp with year 6 and preparing for the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, forgot to mention I have just finished another course online with Kelley. This time I did the gender education course. I enjoyed it and it reinforced more what we covers in the boys ed course. We some principals on this course and it was interesting to get a view from leadership side.

    ReplyDelete